- 101 Broad St, Plattsburgh, NY 12901
- Spring 2016 to Current
- Public Relations and Journalism Major
- GPA: 3.75
SUNY Plattsburgh, which is located in New York’s North Country is the 2nd college I have attended in my college career. While attending Plattsburgh State, I have taken many courses that helped me to build my skills in public relations and journalism. Not only have I taken many courses here but I have had a ton of practical experience which has allowed me to be hands on with what public relations is. I have began to blossom like a flower in this field. Here are some courses moving me forward to my goal.
- Public Relations Campaigns
- The campaigns class at SUNY Plattsburgh gives you a feel of how public relations practitioners run a campaign. I was lucky enough to work with University Police in their attempt to keep pedestrians safe on campus. I was a part of the STOP.LOOK.WAVE campaign which reached thousands of students and community members
- Introduction to News Writing
- While taking Introduction to News Writing, I was able to not only learn how to write an article for a news paper (which is very important in the PR world), I was able to brush up on my Associated Press Style and grammar rules. I also was able to meet some reporters from the local area which helped me to make connections for when I need to send out an article or press release in the near future.
- PR Writing
- Learning how to make your writing stick for your reader is very important in public relations because your goal is to change someones behavior, awareness or attitudes about something. If your messaging does not stick with someone, it goes in one ear and out the other, which makes it pointless. In PR Writing you are learning how to make your reader listen to your writing. I have gained many skills in PR Writing and also touched up on my AP Style as well. I have fallen in love with the Heath brothers book "Made to Stick"
Westchester Community College
- 75 Grasslands Rd, Valhalla, NY 10595
- Fall 2015 to Spring 2016
- Communications Major
- GPA: 4.0
The 1st college I attended was Westchester Community College, is a public two-year community college in Westchester County. WCC is one of 30 community colleges associated with SUNY. It is located in the rural area a little further up north from NYC. I attended for one semester and it was a very successful semester as well. I ended with a 4.0 GPA. I took many courses that prepped me for the courses that would help me in my major.
- Intro to Public Speaking
- I took a public speaking course which I feel prepped me and made me more comfortable to present in a somewhat large crowd. In a class of 30+ students I had to present a total of 4 presentations on various topics.
- Intro to English
- Prior to starting English 101, I took an intro class which helped me become more comfortable with my writing. I became a stronger writer.
North Rockland High school
- 106 Hammond Rd, Thiells, NY 10984
- September 2010 to June 2014
- High school Diploma
I spent all four years of my high school career at North Rockland High school, where I took many courses that helped me to realize I wanted to change the world through communications an public relations. I also became in love with political science after taking a political science course. I took many English courses which helped with my writing and brushed up on my public speaking. Math and science were not my specialty, however, the teachers made the experience fun.
SUNY Plattsburgh Social Media Intern
- 101 Broad St, Plattsburgh, NY 12901
- From Fall 2017 to current date
I am in charge of posting to all SUNY Plattsburgh social media sites which include, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and Snapchat. I am required to attend as many events as possible which mean on and off campus events. I have to be at each Open House we have for the college. I am required to have proper grammar and spelling. Also, I have to have people skills because I am helping to hold up the image of the college. I also am in charge of tracking our campus ambassadors. Last, I help to take some of the professional photos for the college, especially at special events.